Funding Your Care

Most people have to pay something towards their own care costs and some will have to pay for all of the costs. This may sound confusing, so we’ve provided a brief overview of where funding can be found.


Local Authority Funding

Your local authority (council) may cover some, or all of the cost, in some circumstances. However, this will be “means-tested” to decide who bears that cost.


Means-testing considers:

  • How much money you have
  • What level and type of care and support you require

Usually, the first place to start is to ask your local authority for an assessment of your social care (care and support) needs.


NHS Care

The NHS can be responsible for funding some healthcare equipment or care support.

Care the NHS provides includes:

  • NHS Continuing Healthcare – a fully funded NHS care package for those with severe or complex needs
  • Mental Health Aftercare – free aftercare for people previously detained in hospital under certain sections of the Mental Health Act


Charities & Funds

Other sources of funding you might be able to access include charities and funds like the Family Fund – a government-backed charity that can help with grants if you care for a severely disabled child aged 17 or under.


Personal Funding

The cost of care and support is likely to be a long-term commitment and may be substantial. If you, or a loved one, needs to pay for care at home, it’s vital to understand the ways care can be funded.


You can get advice tailored to your needs from:

  • Your local authority
  • A qualified independent financial adviser who specialises in care funding advice – regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority


What Now?

For more information try the NHS website.